Fannie Lou Hamer's Life



Sunday, December 4, 2011

Journal 9


    I would make September 11 a national holiday, in order to commemorate those who died in the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001. These terrorist attacks were probably the most significant event of the 21st century. I was only in first grade at the time, but I couldn’t help sense the devastation and fear that the entire nation faced.
     Many lives were taken during that dreadful event, and I believe that we should take a day each year to commemorate those who passed. My holiday wouldn’t just be a day to re-experience the trauma that I’m sure many people went through, but would mainly be a day to recapture the unity that the citizens of America felt. Nothing brings people closer together than common hardship, and I think that many people have the misconception that nothing good whatsoever came out of 9-11. The unified connection that many felt throughout the nation was a beautiful thing. It is sad to say that we only come together as a nation in times of tragedy, and my holiday would be an attempt to recreate that unity even in a time of peace, making it a national day of service.
    Everyone would have to perform some service that would contribute to the greater good of community, society, or humanity. The last thing I would want for this holiday is for it to become just another day off of school and work. It would be a day to articulate that we as citizens of the same country can always feel united for the same cause, not just during hardship.

No comments:

Post a Comment