Fannie Lou Hamer's Life



Sunday, December 4, 2011

Journal 3

     One of the most important things that I have learned from school is how to make a difference in my community, as well as being a sufficient planner and leader. I have done so by completing Community, Action, and Service (CAS) hours for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program, which are required to obtain an IB Diploma. Within the 150 required hours, one has to fulfill the eight learning outcomes (planning, being a leader, international issues, etc).
    Knowing how to be a successful and amiable leader is a quality that I value highly, and being in the IB program has helped me tremendously. I feel more comfortable setting a good example for others and being able to take charge. This is a quality that I have integrated into my nonacademic life as well, such as on my volleyball team and in my church.
    Completing CAS hours has also gotten me more involved in making a difference in my community. Within our own high school, the IB students have started the Biodiesel and Algae Studies Group (BASG) and are working with the head of Chemistry  at UCSD to make diesel engine fuel that is 100% biodegradable. Fossil fuels are an issue of global importance, and we are making a difference starting in our own school.



No comments:

Post a Comment