Fannie Lou Hamer's Life



Sunday, December 4, 2011

Journal 18

     I am proud to be a Castle Park Trojan, and I love the school that I go to. It is very spirit-oriented and I like my fellow classmates. With that being said, if I could change two things about our school campus it would definitely have be the school lunch and our daily class schedule, particularly the SMI period.
            Nutrition and physical education are stressed in the education of our country’s youth, but the government-approved lunches that our schools, and many others provide does nothing for our health. We are served tremendously greasy pizza, “chicken” salads, and other alternatives stuffed with fillers and preservatives. As a side, we are given baked spicy corn chips, as if to console the tolerance we are forced to build up to what we are being fed.
            Although I have found that block schedule is an effective method of going about my classes, I do not like the SMI period. Someone like me, who can sometimes scarcely bare sitting in the same desk for two hours and forty-five minutes, thinks that SMI should be used as a study period for the students to have an opportunity to do homework, study, or make up a test. Having an extra hour of instructional time in one of my classes everyday takes a toll on me mentally. By the time the SMI period is over, I’m drained and more often than not still have to report to yet another almost two hour long class. I believe that if SMI were used as a designated study hour, the students would benefit.
            I feel that if these two changes were implemented on our campus, it would change it for the better. Having better school lunches and a daily study hour would help make Castle Park High School a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment