Fannie Lou Hamer's Life



Sunday, December 4, 2011

Journal 11

I wish a university asked me at what age it was that I decided that I wanted to go to college, and how that decision was influenced.

     I was in the eighth grade when I literally decided that I was going to college, no matter what it took. It was on my trip to New York City to see my cousin graduate from New York University. On my dad's side of the family, which is how I am related to her, not many of my family members have gotten a college education, so practically all of them flew from California to New York to watch her graduation ceremony. Seeing how proud they were of her, and just seeing everyone in awe of her achievements made me realize that I wanted to experience the same feeling.
     I also had a similar experience with a cousin on my mom's side of the family; we flew to Washington D.C. to watch her graduate from medical school at Georgetown University. She is the only doctor on both sides of my family, and she knew everyone was proud of what she had done.
     Seeing these successful family members made me want to be just like them, both of my cousins are my rolemodels, and I consider them the main reason why I want to go to college too.

No comments:

Post a Comment