Fannie Lou Hamer's Life



Sunday, December 4, 2011

Journal 10

    I am a very indecisive person. I try to avoid making decisions at all costs, and when it becomes inevitable, I have a very hard time making decisions because I‘m afraid of making a bad one. Even from the time when I was just a little girl, my father used to always tell me, “You get two points for making a good decision, one point for making a bad decision, and a point taken off  for deciding once it’s too late.” This is probably  the best advice I have ever received, because my father taught me that you can’t just sit around and let life take its toll on you; you have to do something about it. He was teaching me that if I didn’t learn how to make decisions, regardless of the outcome, I wasn’t going to get anywhere in life. Him sharing this piece of advice with me allowed me to look past my fear of a situation resulting badly and not be afraid to make mistakes, but to make them and learn from them.
    Teaching me to never fear major decisions has influenced my character significantly. I used to be very shy and submissive to others, but now I like being a leader. I no longer fear making decisions, because I no longer fear making mistakes. I learn from the mistakes that I do make, and try not to make the same one twice. My dad really matured me as person with this piece of advice and helped change me for the better.
    There are times when I still feel anxiety when I have to think about major decisions I will make in my life, such as which university I am going to attend, but then again, who doesn’t? The only difference is that now I am not afraid to take the time and really think about what it is that I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment